Thursday, August 12, 2004

Insert Clever Title Here


Doctor's appointment went well. He gave me new meds, 5 weeks of free samples, and a promise for a date in a month (ok, just another appointment). He's a bit odd though. I could hear him joking in the hallway and being extremely flirtatious (he's got some hot skinny nurses) and as soon as he enters the exam room, is stern and cold. Completely different person. Then he left the room to get the samples, and immediately I heard him flirt w/a nurse again and joke with her...then comes back as boring-mean-doctor-man. I wonder if I was a hot skinny woman if that would change things...or would I have to wear the nurses outfit? I don't think DH would mind if I wore the outfit, but it sure would look funny wearing that to my social work office.

Having trouble again with the boss. She's so Jekyll and Hyde, I just don't get it. Yesterday I reviewed some documents and realized some mistakes I made when doing some data-entry. I thought she'd blow up at me about it, but she didn't say a word other than sign the forms needed to fix the errors. Then, when I asked her about my upcoming vacation... I'll just let you see for yourself:

Background: When she hired me I told her about needing to take time off for a family wedding in England (in-laws). That was cancelled, so instead we're meeting in Florida in September. Boss said there's no way she'll let me go for the pre-approved time (two weeks) but maybe one week. Since DH will be there for two weeks (it's his family, and it's already booked) I won't have a car to 1) get to work and 2) drive there and back for only one week. But my parents decided to join us and they're going for a week...and a day. Because that's the time my mom's employer gave her. I told her about it, she sent this email back to me:

I had understood you would only be taking a week off. Does your Mom plan to come back in time to have a day at home before she returns to work? As I calculate it, that would be a Monday morning payroll close-out so it would be good if you could be here. What do you think?

About the payroll bit - I have a person who is my backup just for this reason - so I can miss work every now and then without the world falling apart. Anyway...

Well... what do you think? Is it normal to ask my mother to come back a day early from her vacation just to appease my boss or is my boss just a wee bit controlling?