Friday, August 06, 2004

Free lunch day

One of the secretaries won our division a free lunch from a local radio station. She entered a drawing two years ago, the radio station pulls businesses out of a hat every Friday and treats them to fajitas and drinks (soft drinks, sigh) from a popular and yummy Mexican restaurant nearby.

Food always brings our division together. I have also learned that it is the best way to bribe my division to finish a report on time - if I cook them breakfast for accomplishing a deadline. It's the only time at lunch where I can sit with people I work with and I won't hear gossip about other people I work with - because they're all there. Instead, they gossip about people who have come and gone, most of them retired after their 50 years of civil service (or so it seems). Every time we get together around our huge conference room table and stuff our mouths, I hear so many stories of crazy people, schizos, and mentally unstable folks who used to work here in State office. It makes me think. Although you have to pass certain civil service exams to work for the state, you have a better chance of being hired if you're just a bit nutso. I suppose that says something about me, which really explains why they hired me in the first place. I entered as a temporary worker until they filled this position, but they saw I was a little off-centered in the brain and decided, "We must keep her!" Perhaps it was walking around in my socks, singing to myself or the time I named my paperclips. Who can tell.

As I was writing this blog, someone from the "Peer Support and Care Team" came in to welcome me to the office. I just had my sixth month review yesterday, they're a bit late. But I do enjoy my pink balloon (ready for me to blow up at any given moment), bookmark and free clicky pen. I must go and play with my new toys. If they hired me b/c I'm a crazy person, I mustn't let them down and start acting normal anytime soon!