Saturday, June 03, 2006

For all the naysayers

Suzie Orman called and said she had to meet the people whose financial actions shocked her so much... so we got her drunk, tied her up and threw her on a Greyhound bus headed for Lake Providence, Louisiana (welfare capital of the world). I think she might have fun there.

By the way for those keeping score:
Cost of gas to drive the truck to and from work a day - $7.56
Cost of gas to drive new car to and from work a day - $3.78
Cost of new tires on truck - $500
Estimated cost of new tires on car should we need them - $125
Percentage cheaper that oil changes will be on car rather than truck - 70%

Still have something to say? Put it on a postcard so I can frame it.

I went and took the Professional Entry Test for civil service in order to get one of the higher paying State jobs available, and passed with 30 points to spare. After applying for every job available that I could do, I went to the temp agency that placed me in the State where I was immediately hired permanently in 2003. They stuck me in a temp job, back in Social Services, but a different agency and a building 4 blocks down the street from where I used to work. It wasn't much, just sorting out a new filing system, oh the challenge. After I did what they thought would be 2 weeks of work in 2 days, the supervisors found out that I took the state PET test and passed, and almost literally jumped for joy. Apparently there is a position open in that department that they were about to start reviewing applications for, that is 2 pay scales higher than my former job in social services. They mentioned that they're already happy with me and can't wait to move me to that position and find "another temp" to do the job I was doing.

So Monday I'm supposed to bring in my test scores and state application and we'll go from there. That's the second time I've been hired from temp agency job to permanent state job within 2 days.

Speaking of working, I am loving it. Even the dreadfully boring filing, highlighting and sorting. It has been great to just get out of the house and feel like I am being useful in some way. I've spent so many years just evaluating my self-worth on my career, what type of work I was doing, and it has been so hard to shake that since becoming a Mother where my self-worth is loads higher and more important in THAT position. So being back at work has helped me progress tremendously in the happy-brain department. I went to see the psychiatrist yesterday and we're going to start trying to phase out one of the medicines in a few weeks, over about 2 months I think. Then I will only take it intermittently, like the time of month my hormones make my brain go nuts.

Also I have been making leaps and bounds with my new christian counselor. She has helped me so much more in the past 5 sessions than all of my previous 3 years of therapy combined. She's wonderful. And helping me realize that I'm not so bad myself, eh?

Anyway, I'm still not keeping this as a regular blog but had to share the news with someone. Continue to check out Toby's blog for new pictures and videos! http://tobiaspeter.blogspot.com