Monday, January 26, 2004

Am I in Ethiopia?

Diet Day 1... Not so bad I don't think. It took a while the night before to prepare everything, but it came with the excitement of just thinking about fitting into clothes, public toilets, and the apples of people's eyes.

The difficult thing, however, is how to manage a normal day at work while eating every three hours (the main gist of this diet). I could run into the kitchen, grab something, run back to the office and try to hide it, but then I'd just look a little weird. I could explain that I'm going on another diet, but then I'll look like another failure in a few months when they see me eating the chinese buffet at lunchtime again.

And who can refuse donuts?

7:00AM Breakfast - Not so bad, I'm not hungry in the morning, but I woofed down the eggwhites with little problem. This ain't so bad...

10:00AM Morning Snack

Not be hungry? A little snack?!?? Two bites of chicken and half a grapefruit aren't what I thought would help me keep my stamina through the day. The egg whites and three bites of potato were fine this morning... but by 10am I'm STARVING. How do those children in Ethiopia do it?

10:12 AM

Okay, I can do this. Not that it's easy to eat half a grapefruit with a plastic spoon whilst trying to juggle memos phones and policy manuals, but I'm not starving African orphan anymore. In retrospect, I didn't even notice I hadn't eaten until 10 when my body just gave out immediately.

Husband said this is a diet for housewives and shut-ins. I don't know if I could stand being at home so close to real food and stick to grapefruit and two bites of chicken.

Grapefruit doesn't taste so bad, why did I hate it as a child?

10:13AM

Where's the sugar!?? Now that I'm not woofing it down, I can taste it. Maybe they put grapefruit on diets so that you don't eat at all.

How do you get grapefruit juice off of your keyboard?

10:32AM

Starving again... that other grapefruit halve promised for 3pm is looking good right now.

I thought I wouldn't be hungry? didn't they take notice that those doing this diet are those who get hungry lots, and need to eat lots? why didn't they call it the starvation diet?

11:34AM

Someone is out to get me.

I walked by the community table in the hallway and there was a box of chocolate covered granola bars... with chocolate chips.

I could've sworn that box sneered at me, and has been whispering my name since I passed it.

Hour and a half until Lunch... can I make it?

1PM Lunch- FINALLY, my dreams have come true, I can now eat the two bites of chicken, ton of asparagus and three bites of potato. This isn't so bad after all, as a matter of fact, I love asparagus.

1:10pm - I love asparagus when it's covered in cheese in a potato chip casserole... I'm so sick of it now, I can't manage. The chicken is eaten, the potato is gone... I'm receiving hallucinations of a huge chocolate covered donut making faces at me.

1:12PM - Sorted, lunch eaten, not hungry, and work is so busy I won't notice the rumbling tummy.

1:40PM - I'm hungry again. How many calories do cough drops have?