Friday, June 04, 2004

Grrrr!

Outside our house we had a Union Jack flag and an LSU flag hanging on trees from little tree flagpoles. One for the University that rules the world according to people down here, and the other to represent my husband's nationality. I feared that some might view it as an anti-american statement, since it is a little known that other than Tony Blair, brits don't support us in the war - and that we used to have an American flag flying in its place. We had to take it down b/c the storms had shredded the bottom of the flag, and you can't have a shredded flag hanging, and put DH's union jack in its place.

The other night some #!$%^&*$& stole the flags. It may have been some kid's prank, but I feel greatly insulted by it. I hope it wasn't that they picked on us b/c we had the Union Jack out there. If that's the case, then they're being anti-American by taking the flag down. Proud Americans go on about free speech and the freedom we all have, and will even allow that to shadow their view of the rest of the world (such as the guy praying on my DH who said "Thank you Lord, for bringing him to a FREE country." What does he think England is? China?). If they took down the flag, they aren't supporting the free speech factor. They want us to be submissive and bow to only one flag. I know they also took the LSU flag, but I'm viewing it as a hate crime. They didn't think we deserved the LSU flag since we had the Union Jack.

I'd like to knock on every door in the neighborhood and ask all the parents if their kids all of a sudden have a british flag lying around. I'd like to put two England flags in its place, along with a Spanish flag (just b/c I love that place), a Dominican Republic flag (b/c I just feel so damn bad about their flooding and think we should do more to help them), and a Lebanese flag (b/c I love their food). I don't like having someone trying to censor us from our neighbors. I don't like someone making my husband feel unwelcome here in this country. What are we showing the rest of the world if we don't accept them? People are misguided. The "greatest country on earth" doesn't shun others. That's not brotherly love. Ben Franklin and George Washington didn't want that. You can't put your country on a pedastool above others until it starts to act like an admirable country. The greatest life lesson of all is from, you guessed it, Jesus. He said to love others just as he loves us, and if you understand his love, then you'll understand that it means really love others. No judging, no anger, just forgiveness, and offering a helping hand. Being brothers and sisters. That's what we need to do before we can begin to say that we're above other nationals. I've forgiven whoever stole the flags, but I'm still going to tell their parents!

Have a good weekend! Off to housesit at the Golden Retriever's house!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home