Thursday, November 03, 2005

35 weeks down... yikes!

Not long to go now! Had my 35 week appt at the OB on Tuesday and things seemed sort of okay. My blood pressure is actually high, which is rare for me, despite my size, and the boy - who although showed at the last ultrasound to be in position with his head down ready to go, still has his feet stuck up in my ribs (sure does make breathing fun for me!) and is pretty high for being so far along and so big.

I reminded the OB that the Perinatologist who I see that does the ultrasounds and monitors my blood sugars said this baby was in the 86% percentile for size. Not that it means anything to me, just that he's big - and the OB mentioned we might have to consider a C section. Now, 8 months ago I was dreaming of having a C section, but since then I've done a lot more research on it and it's not really the ball of fluff that everyone makes it out to be. It's a major, major surgery, and not that great for baby either. Recovery is worse than the regular old method of birthin', and the boy will have more fluid in his lungs and will have to spend a few days in the NICU if this happens (usually the birth canal would push all this fluid out but in a C, he won't be going that route). He will already have lung problems most likely, just from being a boy, and a boy of a gestational diabetic, and also probably being pulled early b/c they don't like gestational diabetics to go full term (the placenta ages quicker and that means it will give less and less oxygen the closer to 40 weeks we go). So, there are some worrying things.

But honestly I am so uncomfortable right now, I don't care if they have to pull him out of my nose at this point. I made sure the Doc knew that.

So, now we're down to weekly appointments, I see him again on Tuesday and I guess that's when they start up the pelvic exams again. Then the following Tuesday is the perinatologist appt where they do another ultrasound, if the boy waits that long, and I have a feeling we'll be seeing him before December. Just a feeling though, keep in mind I've never done this before.

I still have a huge list of things to do before he comes, but a lot of it has to do with money, and sadly, I think we lost our money growing tree. *Sniff*. DH is "helping" do some construction in Covington (to the east of us and on the north side of Lake Ponchartrain - that big lake next to New Orleans) these past few weeks to help the situation, but it means he spends most of the week away as it is too far to logically come back and forth daily with the high cost of gas and all the new traffic we have thanks to the evacuees. So anyway, I still have to:
  • Get a Diaper Champ (diaper disposal thingy)
  • get some nursing pj's and bras (i have none!)
  • somehow figure out a way to get baby health insurance without having to add him to my out of state Virginia plan which will cost twice as much
  • wait on missing nursery pieces that have been backordered
  • get nursery monitor
  • get pack and play (will use as a bassinet next to our bed in the beginning)
  • send out those thank you notes from those who sent baby gifts (they're written, just not mailed, d'oh!)
  • do the christmas cards
  • stop feeling guilty about not being able to get christmas gifts this year and fight the urge to do christmas shopping
  • get car seat installed by a technician who can interpret those darn directions (have to make an appt w/the police dept for that)
  • stop craving cake, i can't have it yet!
  • somehow break it to the kitties that they might not be getting as much attention from us soon
  • decide on a middle name!
  • pack the hospital bag
  • figure out what else

So there it is, lots of stuff to do, yet I don't have the energy to do any of it. I have to do more around the house now as well since DH is off in Covington, it's not fun.

I can't believe it is November. I can't believe I'm going to have a baby.