Friday, August 27, 2004

New Beginnings

After another depression breakdown last night, I made a decision - I'm going to grad school and I'm doing it soon - dammit.

I'll just have to owe money for the rest of my life, but I'm getting that education and ability to be a student for at least 2 more years. Let's cross our fingers and hope that Sallie Mae will still be nice to me and give me loans.

The problem is...what degree shall I go for - and what school? Well after reading that LSU will reimburse 100% of tuition to its graduate assistantships starting in Fall of 2005, I think my mind is made up about the school...granted they have the program I want. And they do...it's really granted on if they accept me.

There are so many choices though... and what the heck is a Master's of Liberal Arts? What can you do with that? It's probably exactly what I want to do - just take liberal arts classes for two more years... but it will have the same result as my BA did - not a single job opportunity. I dunno. Anyone have any advice?

There's also the Master's of Public Administration - which is good in case I'd like to stick w/working for the govt, which I do enjoy (the benefits! woohoo!)...and there's always a chance in the end of being picked for some sort of Federal govt job program if you're really good. LSU offers this, which is good...but is it really what I want to study?

My dream Master's Degree - Master's of Fine Arts in Creative Writing - won't get me a job either, but that's exactly how I want to spend two more years of my life. Why wasn't I just an English major huh? I won those short fiction contests in college beating out the English majors...but my grammar sucketh and all that reading cut into my playtime and naptime. Another problem with this is that I doubt I'll be accepted into LSU's program...it's really difficult to do believe it or not.

Then there's the stick-with-my-major plan. Master's in Mass Communication, studying Public Relations and Corporate Communication and Marketing, like I did for my BA. Problem is, although that was my major, I sucked at it. The only C's I ever got in college were in my major. I try to console myself saying that those professors were notorious in that college as being the most difficult...but really, who am I kidding? All that reading just cut into my naptime, and it required reading with two dictionaries at the same time.

Next is the Master's in Higher Education. This is for those weirdos who think all they want to do is work for a college or University. And I'm one of those weirdos. I dunno what it is, but I wouldn't mind being a Registrar for a college, or work in Institutional Research like my student internship mentor did. What happened to me? This one isn't offered at LSU, or even a college IN Louisiana. I'd have to go pay out of state fees somewhere. Bah. But one college that does offer it is Western Washington University, in Bellingham, WA where my brother lives. That's a huge ass perk. I love my brother, and even though we never even met each other until 3 years ago, (besides a three day visit 15 years ago when we were too young to like each other) I feel a big connection with him and if it weren't for the age difference and different mothers, I'd think we were twins. Plus...have you SEEN that part of WA? It's gorgeous.

I dunno what's next. There's also the thought of studying to be a Spanish teacher, since I know the Spanish stuff...but damn, kids walk all over me. I don't know if I could do that.

What to do, what to do...