Wednesday, May 05, 2004

I'm recognized

Today was State Employees/Civil Service Employees (same damn thing) Recognition/Appreciation Day. Boss bought us pizza for lunch, gave a speech, said a prayer and we ate and rushed back to work. Actually my phone was ringing off the hook as soon as i got a piece of pizza in my hand. Some appreciation.

Yesterday I had to take a work-related training course in another building downtown in order to learn how to enter payroll in the system for my division. I already know it, the person who did it before me taught me in about 20 minutes, and it took that long b/c we chatted about soap operas. However, I had to get the certificate and attend this 8 hour class which started out with the instructor telling us what WINDOWS were. Freakin' windows. And some people didn't understand.

Why do I wonder why Louisiana is so screwed up when the people employed to make the place hospitable can't even minimize a window?

Every break we had, all the secretaries and myself would huddle into a corner of the outside patio smoking and complaining about how horrible it is to work for the state. These are my role models folks. Scratchy voiced 50-something year old secretaries who can't get past when they had to receive policy changes by email.

I think I should carry around a little xeroxed copy of my degree with me to remind me every now and then that I won't be in this job forever. Will I?

One thing I did learn from that class was how to check everybody in my division's salary. My boss gets bank. Damn. But she worked 30 years to get that. I'm screwed. I looked at the other secretaries' salaries, the ones who had been there 20 years and some of them are even making less than me. I do have the highest sec. position in the division, but the way the pay goes is the longer you're there, the more you make. I can't take it. I have to get out.

How many applications do you think I can send to google before they put a restraining order on me?