Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Can I be this happy?

I'm not sure where to start.

Job - LOVE it! Got lectured that I'm "Nobody's Secretary" and that's what I've been wanting to hear since I graduated college, finally! Also the commute is about 20 minutes from home, I haven't had a commute shorter than 45 minutes in the past 3 years. Weather - I love the cold, but I HAVE a cold now. We got snow for a night, but it disappeared by morning. My cold felt like flu but now it is at cold level, I need to invest in more kleenex and hot tea.

Speaking of hot tea, I'm addicted to the Chai Latte which I got this morning from Starbucks. Well, Pete got it for me. It's so delicious and good on my sore throat and cold...But then Pete told me the price. I think it's time I get a little mini coffee maker for my desk so I can heat water and make my own teas.

The Apartment - Fanbloodytastic. We've been using craigslist (washingtondc.craigslist.org) to find free furniture from international students going back home or people moving out, and have gotten some great stuff.

Our landlord is also wonderful. He's a chauffeur from Turkey, and the nicest person we've met up here. He took us out to breakfast the morning we signed the lease, then when they forgot my coffee, he went out of his way to starbucks to get me one and surprised me with it. He also gave us a microwave, old computer, great computer desk when he saw that the free one we got is broken, and found a job for Pete. He and his wife are so adorable as well, they couldn't be nicer. Yesterday Pete got some consignment shop furniture and unpacked almost every box, then he picked up a free (but used/old) bed from a friend of our landlord,

So for the price of $55, we have a furnished apartment, all we need to do is get our dresser, tv, and extra couch (if we think we need it) from baton rouge and that's it! oh and bedside tables... but we're using boxes right now for that.

Last night was our first night in the apt w/a bed, seemed like the first real night, we had our mini christmas tree up, I cooked a full english breakfast for dinner, Pete had it unpacked and tidy, no tv so we chatted and listened to the radio (free too!), and it dawned on us... this is OUR place, we're not visitors or guests, it's OURS, alone! It makes Pete so happy and me so happy, we forget we're on Zoloft and Effexor, We're a Proper married couple now, with our own place, finally!!! Then I get up in the morning and look forward to going to work, and actually enjoy my day at work...I'm so freakin' happy I just might explode.

Right so... how is everybody else? Also - we're driving down to Baton rouge tonight (well we start driving tonight, we'll get there Christmas Eve), and will be back Jan 2. Take Care and Happy Holidays!