Monday, January 10, 2005

Update in a letter

I'm not really this angry, just imagine my dry-humor when reading this. I'm too lazy to properly update, so here's part of a letter I sent to my old college roommate Tammie who I had dinner with Friday night in response to a PMSy email she had sent me...

I rode the bus today for the first time to get to work, in the States that is. I miss my 17 Wokingham Road bus, I knew exactly how much it took, the driver was friendly, and there were conversations that I could listen in on. Not the 3A bus from Annandale to East Falls Church metro. Apparently you mustn't speak english on this bus or you will be stared at and talked about in Spanish and Korean for the entire trip. If you can't get your dollar in the machine right away, the driver will sigh and roll his eyes at you. And I walk too slow once getting off the bus and going into the metro. What are these people rushing for? Aren't they just going to work? Who wants to rush to work? Wackos.

Did you hear Jen and Brad (anniston and Pitt) broke up? What the hell is up with that? Why can't we have one freakin' hollywood couple to show us that marriage works? Why not just one? It'd make up for all the other freakishly wrong morals they're teaching with all the stuff they get away with. It's their fault that people look at Pete and I thinking, "I give them two more years, then it's a nasty divorce with him sleeping with her best friend." Bastids.

Sorry, I should be cheerful. I'm at work, and I'm the only one here. And I love this job. Haven't seen any office politics yet, but there is still time. Oh, and taking the metro was a bit embarrassing, b/c everyone was taking the metro the other way, so I had to stand there alone on the other side of the platform while two metro thingys came by and picked up loads of people, staring out the window at me like I'm a lost little girl. Well guess what bastids, I got a seat on MY metro, hah! Taking it one stop seems pointless too, I want less bus and more metro. And there's a big firetruckin' hill from the station to my work, it's "right next door" but what they don't tell you is that it's past the humungous parking lot and up two gigantic hills. I better have lost some freaking weight after a few months of doing this. All that for $2.60 and an hour's commute time when it takes 15 minutes to drive it. I wish Pete would get a job where I can be spoiled and driven to work by him or be able to drive myself again. He gets paid Wednesday, where we will find out if it's worth it him ruining our truck to be a courier or not.

We ate at IHOP last night in Fairfax b/c I had a coupon. I felt like an old person with a coupon to eat at a place like Ihop. I was craving chicken fingers and french toast, is that a weird combination? Well I settled for chicken fried steak and pancakes. It was lovely, really. I felt sorry for the waiter and tipped him a little extra. Not that I can afford it, but I just wanted to be nice to him.

Time for some tea and back to work, see you later,
Ash