Saturday, March 06, 2004

Anniversary Questions

I don't have much wedding Anniversary experience, but I'm just so pleasantly surprised at getting an Anniversary card in the mail from a recently newlywed college friend. Pete and I don't expect half of our family members to even remember our anniversary, much less that we're married, yet I have a friend who lives a few states away, that I haven't spoken to since her wedding in September, who mailed me the sweetest Happy Anniversary card. That really, really touched me and made my day, week, probably even month. What a fantastic surprise.

It makes me wonder, just who are we supposed to expect to wish us a Happy Anniversary? Our parents did, of course, with exception to the father-in-law who wouldn't remember a birthday were it not for his live-in check writing girlfriend who signs his name to the cards she buys and sends; and we actually had one sibling out of the five who not only remembered, but sent an email and lovely card telling us so as well. We also have a never forgetful aunt and uncle who always send the loveliest letters on such occasions, but that's certainly not the norm for the other aunts and uncles. But then again, who keeps count, eh?

I realize that we did only have a tiny little civil wedding in England, where only a quarter of our relatives attended, but it's the people who didn't attend that seem to remember (with an exception of a few of course). Who are we supposed to expect to remember or even care about our anniversary? Should we make a big deal out of it ourselves?

I expect so, actually. Since over half of the marriages end in divorce, we should celebrate our anniversaries bigger than birthdays, and receive rewards for staying together in a happy, loving, and committed union. Where's our party with the clown, cake and bouncy castle? Where's the prank gifts and obligatory knitted sweater? Where's the balloons and "all about me" attention? We don't have kids yet, so we can still ask for attention, right?

Actually I'm not all that bothered about who remembers our anniversary and who doesn't, I still have the husband who does my laundry, cooks me breakfast, massages my shoulders, and writes me love songs on his guitar. He treats me so well and gives me so much royal attention that I forget I'm fat, bulging out of every piece of clothing I own. I should be writing his mum a thank you card every anniversary instead.

Um, mum? Thank you!