Friday, April 16, 2004

Dreams come true

I've been an avid viewer of The Apprentice where I watched Troy talk about his dream coming true because he met Donald Trump. I was wondering just what would it be like to have a huge dream come true?

DUH! That's already happened to me and I've already forgotten it.

The day I first saw my husband, he was working at a place next to my house. I visited daily, sometimes just to get a glimpse of this anonymous worker on whom I had a crush, but he probably never really noticed me. Then a few months later I got a job working with him, and all that changed.

The day I was introduced to Pete, my first reaction was "I want to marry someone just like him." I knew that I would never actually get him, but I might be able to someday in the far future marry someone kinda like him. I was hoping, at least. Then Pete and I became pretty good friends, hanging out at work, after work, and after about six months we took a trip together with a couple of my friends to Amsterdam. During the entire friendship I fell in love with Pete, but denied it to the end. I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment, so I tried very hard to keep my feelings for him to come up on the surface.

Finally, one night in Amsterdam Pete and I found that our feelings for each other were mutual, and my dream came true. Not only did I get to kiss my best friend, then date my huge crush, but two and a half years later we married and have been married for two years. Every single day I live out my dream come true. I can look at him and still feel what I did the day I met him, except that feeling is magnified now that I've gotten to know him even more.
I apologize for rambling, but I just can't believe how lucky I've been. I've grown up thinking that I'd never have the prince charming husband, especially so early in life; and even at 21 years old and about to board the airplane for England when my mom said "You're going to meet your husband over there." I rolled my eyes and decided to commit her to a sanatorium when I returned. I didn't know it would be true, and I certainly didn't believe that I deserved this.

But last night I went back 4 and a half years of the day I met Pete, and realized just how far my dream has gone to come true for me, and it's inspiring. It's as inspiring as it is to the answered prayer that I prayed for two years for him to become a Christian, and now each Sunday morning I get to see him praise God when he plays guitar for our service. Prayers do get answered, and dreams do come true. It's mind-boggling, but the best thing I can say about it is, YAY ME!