Monday, April 05, 2004

When Real Life Kicks In

Bankruptcy court tomorrow. I filed Chapter 7, and tomorrow they tell whether or not I keep my truck, computer, used tv, hair dryer, husband, etc. We'll see what I'll have to sell on ebay.

I've been pretty calm and somewhat ecstatic about this bankruptcy progress, because it gets the collectors off of my back, and it means that all of my paychecks will no longer go to paying off high interest rates on loans my parents got in my name (long story, conclusion is that we all learned a lesson here). However, yesterday the panic set in. What if I did something wrong? What if I've left something off that I've forgotten about? What if they find out some vague immigration law that means they can deport my husband? What if they'll interrogate me about the time I sold girl scout cookies in '84 and forgot to deliver some of them?

I tossed and turned all night, called my lawyer this morning and she was the epitome of calm. She was the Dali Llama. Breathe. Be calm. It will be all right. You're okay. I'll take care of it.

Breathe....

I calm down and come into work, three hours late (I called in about 8 to warn them, it's ok)... and my boss is on fire (not about me, about other stuff). I let loose a fire extinguisher on her and the office is in a strange quiet about now... wondering how the heck I calmed boss down, and probably taking notes (that's a joke there, folks).

Now it's crunch time and I'm panicky again. I just signed up for a health plan, Hubby and I now have health insurance. It's weird. I dunno how to feel. It's an HMO, but a good one, which was so odd that I took forever in researching it and deciding. Hubby has never had to deal with insurance (paying a doctor is foreign to him, literally, in England it's all free, different kind of healthcare, but free). Now I get to worry about what if the plan I chose is all wrong?

Speaking of, there's an interesting article on CNN.com about cash-only doctors. I think it's a great idea. I've been paying cash only for the past two years... not good for prescriptions or emergencies, but it's hassle free. Read about it here.

Also, I get to vote today for delegates to the Democratic National Convention. My lawyer is on the ballot. I'm scared to mention it to my boss though, to take time off to vote. Then she'll know what party I am. I work for the govt, I'm supposed to be non-partisan. Ugh.

Have a good day.