Thursday, June 10, 2004

Whoops

I feel like I need to follow up yesterday's last post with this one. When I posted the cost of the wedding we planned, I have to say that there's no way that we'll ever do that. It's way too expensive. We came up with that sum when we were dream-planning, you ever done that before? We know it's too expensive folks. We didn't just fall off the turnip truck and CAN use a calculator. So before y'all have heart attacks, thought I'd clear a few things up.

We still want to have a wedding type party, where our friends in both countries will feel it worth it enough to spend the money to fly down here, take time off work, and put out money for a hotel room. Our friends are cheapos, let's face it. Okay maybe not cheapos, but it costs a lot of money to come here from England, and we're quickly learning just how hard it is to even get an email from someone over there, much less an entire visit for a wedding when we're already married. We want to make it special.

Oak Alley is still the place in mind. The booze might be watered-down and cheap, the food might be miniscule, but we're having a party dadgummit, and you're going to be there. All I require about the dress is that it fits and doesn't make me look like an oversized wedding cake, it doesn't have to cost the price of an automobile. The requirements of this wedding party are: friends, family, food, booze, and religious wedding vows - oh and rings, we still don't have wedding rings. It would be nice to have them. We won't spend the cost of a down payment on a house for this, but we will spend more than the cost of a week's worth of groceries. Because we're special, we're married, and we're in love dammit.

We're not your average got-married-in-vegas couple. We've been through hell and highwater just to be together, and that experience taught us invaluable lessons about communication, patience, and what is most important. We already had the no cost no frills wedding so I don't want to hear stories about that, and I look back on that with regrets that we didn't do anything more for it. I'm grateful my mum in law had the insight to make it special as much as we would allow her. I've been to two nicely done weddings since then and all I feel is pain that Pete and I haven't had a chance to celebrate our love like that. So unless you're writing us a check, don't say a word except, "I'll be there."

Mmm-kay?

See you there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home