Wednesday, September 29, 2004

4 Brits, 2 Americans, and a dead battery

Back from vacation/holiday yet it's still going on. We picked up the in-laws which included bro, mum, and bro's friend, and one of my college friends from Delaware, and drove from Lousyana all the way to outside Gatlinburg, TN. We rented a cabin at the very top of a mountain in the smokies, which was awesome, but the drive up the mountain in the middle of the night was a bitch, especially with 5 backseat drivers who've never driven huge lorry sized vehicles up mountains on the right side of the road. By the time we got there though, it was unanimous just to leave the cabin once to get groceries and beer for the week and leave it at that. It all worked out that way thanks to the dead battery in my parents' suburban that we borrowed. Apparently DH and I's last minute planning at 2am b/c of the Hurricane paid off, and the cabin we chose from the millions google found was just perfect with a bed for everyone, a pool table, hot tub, and gorgeous views. These people just don't know how lucky they are, from the way we chose the cabin, (eeny, meeny, miney, mo...).

On the last day we drove to the Jack Daniel's distillery and had a local inbred descendent of Mr. Daniel's himself, be our tour guide, complete with overalls, hayseed in mouth and hillbilly accent. I'm not sure if the Brits could understand anything he said over their giggling. I hope someone got a picture. At one point he said that he was a descendent of Jack Daniel's nephew and sister, to which we all raised our eyebrows and let that one go.

As I've mentioned before, this trip was to cheer up bro in law who had his heart broken a few months ago to the tune of a cancelled wedding by the bride to be (one of my college friends). I can happily say that Bro in law seems to have gotten over it, as his mum has put it, "he's starting to gain weight again," although when someone looks like a beanpole, I'm not sure how you can tell they've gained weight. Anyhow, he's enjoyed the trip so far, especially by hooking up with and courting my other college friend (I'm beginning to feel a bit like his pimp). After courting my friend C all week he got completely wasted last night (which was C's last night, she flies out today) sent C back to the hotel and told my husband, "Let's get rid of these women and go to Hustler," (nudey bar). Then after DH directed him to a club (not a nudey bar), he finished the night out taking shots through women's cleavage and mouths. I'm guessing he's had a good time, but I'm not very happy with losing precious time to spend w/my girlfriends while they fall for him and become his shag buddy. Ah well.

(bunch of stuff deleted after I've calmed down. blah blah blah blah)

I'm back at work today, but it's not as bad as I thought. Boss has a meeting all day, and the girls decorated my office with hanging stars and smiley faces all over the windows, ceiling, desk, computer, walls and door. They missed me. I feel loved. All is good...except that whole bitchy boss thing. And the pms I have right now. Grrrr. Oh, and the fact that I had to meet another girl from work this morning at 6am in New Orleans to catch a ride with her while the in-laws and friends slept in their lovely hotel beds.

I have cramps. Make me smile.