Thursday, October 14, 2004

One interview down...

Yup, it's overwith. I have no idea how it went. I was so busy yesterday that I didn't have much time to prepare. I tried to come into work a half hour early to prepare, but little things distracted me along the way. By the time I had finally sat down at my desk, at 4 minutes to 8am (9am their time)...the phone rang.

The interview. With five people. On speakerphone.

I could've thrown up in my garbage can from nerves. You could hear the nerves in my voice, she said "Now, don't be nervous," and I stifled ugly, nervous laughter. My legs were shaking, I had to pee, and I was afraid of anyone in the hallway listening in through the sounds coming from my closed office door. They asked me the regular interview questions and I rambled my answers. They asked me what could I bring them from Louisiana and I said that I wish I could've brought them beignets for breakfast...

You mention food and the ice is broken. Phew.

So it went well...I think. Or it could've gone horribly wrong. Because I was so damn nervous. I am an awful interviewer. I look good on paper, but make me speak in a pressure situation for a job that I really, really, really want, and I bomb. But I think it may have gone well. We'll see.

By the end of the interview they were asking me about when I could come for a second interview, in person. Not that they had made their minds up, but just in case. Then they asked how quickly could I move up there, I said that the open position was such a top priority for me that I just need two weeks' notice to give my boss, and I'm there, I fibbed a little and said that I had friends nearby Radford (well Slush is 3.5 hours away, that's close...right?) that I could stay with until I settle in. They asked when I could come cook them lasagna (b/c I told them about me cooking for my division when they complete projects on time), and they applauded and yay'd at the prospect of me bringing them louisiana food. They like food. It's good. They have three positions to fill and the University is pushing them to fill them fast...so I have a chance.

Right?

The problem though is that although I did not put my boss down as a reference, and ticked the box "No" at "May we contact your present supervisor?", they called back and asked to speak to boss. Boss isn't in today so they said they'd call her back. I haven't told boss about me applying for jobs in Virginia.

Uh-oh.

What do I do? Here's my plan:

Tomorrow morning have conference with boss. Tell her that I had been making plans to go to graduate school at Virginia Tech in Higher Education administration in order to obtain a decent job at a university or college, and in my research, I found out about this perfect job opportunity for my career at nearby Radford University, and applied. And then say that it is very unexpected that they interviewed and called to speak to her, as if it's all out of the blue and I was just considering the idea, instead of dying to get out of here b/c i'm miserable.

Does that sound good?

The nerves are so bad...I need an anxiety pill.